Jazz Band Auditions September 20-22.
Interested in joining the jazz band? Auditions are held September 20, 21, and 22. Download the audition packet to get started. Audition dates for each instrument, rehearsal schedule, and general info are included. If you're interested but aren't sure if you should audition after looking through the packet, feel free to come talk to me after school to get more info.
Elementary Band and Orchestra Pre-registration is Open
Hello 5th grade parents and students! Pre-Registration for 5th grade band and orchestra is available online now. Click the big blue link below to get started. Just looking for information about the program? Click here to download a copy of the Elementary Band and Orchestra Parent Guide.
Be sure to visit the "Elementary Band Corner" by clicking on the tab in the side menu. This is where Mr. Ronning will post assignments and notices for 5th graders. Orchestra students will find information about string classes on Mr. Banet's web page.
Save the date: Wednesday, Sept. 21 is Music Night, is our annual event where parents can register their children for classes, meet the teachers, and rent instruments. In the meantime, we will be visiting the elementary schools on September 20 and 21 to talk to kids and provide a guided, hands-on with the instruments. Classes begin on September 26, and we're really looking forward to working with our newest young musicians!
The BeginBand.com website contains useful information about beginning band. It also has sound clips for each instrument. The following lists show selected content from the site. Click on the links below for direct access to the article or FAQ's.
Three articles to read with a parent:
- Selecting the Right Band or Orchestra Instrument
- A General Overview of the Instruments
- Tips on Buying Quality Band and Orchestra Instruments
Frequently Asked Questions about Band and Orchestra
- Which instruments are allowed in band or orchestra?
- Is it possible to play the guitar or piano in band or orchestra class?
- Which instrument should I choose?
- Should we buy a new or used instrument?
- What’s the difference between a fiddle and a violin?
- What’s the difference between a Violin and Viola?
- The saxophone is too big or too expensive. Is there an alternative to a saxophone for beginners?
- Should we start with the Alto or Tenor Saxophone?
- Is it possible to play the oboe or the bassoon as a beginner?
- What’s the difference between a trumpet and a cornet?
- Which percussion instrument should we start with?
- Which instrument is the easiest to learn?
- Do girls or boys do better on certain instruments?
- How often should a beginner practice?
- Who is qualified to teach private lessons to a beginner?
Concert Dress for Mason Bands
Beginning & Intermediate Band
Khaki (tan) pants and a navy blue polo with dark shoes and socks.
Black dress pants and a white dress shirt (or white blouse for girls) with black socks and shoes. A black tie is optional for boys.
Concert & Jazz Band
Black dress pants, black dress shirts or blouses, with black socks and dress shoes. (Jazz band members who are in Advanced Band need only wear these outfits.)
There is no particular uniform for our elementary students. Students are encouraged to wear clean, "dressy" clothes for concerts.