Loaded Kiln.JPG 

 

 

 

 

 





M a s o n M i d d l e S c h o o l

ArtDepartment






A  r  t   t  e  a  c  h  e  r
Christine  Johnson

c l a s s r o o m  p h o n e   #
2 5 3 . 5 7 1 . 7 0 6 5


e m a i l
cjohnso@tacoma.k12.wa.us

l o c a t i o n
room #405

H o m e  A c c e s s  C e n t e r  (HAC)

clay demo_2.JPG


CourseOfferings



C e r a m i c s

In this semester-long class, 7th and 8th grade ceramic students learn the three basic clay hand-building techniques - pinch, slab and coil. They also develop the skills necessary to throw a pot on a pottery wheel. Students will become familiar with the firing process, creating approximately eight to ten ceramic pieces. There is a $10.00 lab fee to cover the cost of clay and glazes.

For the 2017-18 school year, ceramic classes are offered during first period (first semester) and fourth period (second semester).

 

B  a  s  i  c     A  r  t

In this semester-long class, 7th and 8th grade visual arts students create a variety of artwork using different art media such as paint, pastels, colored pencils, clay , etc. They learn what the art elements and principles are, as well as develop the basic skills to use them effectively in their own artwork. Artists from a variety of time periods and cultures are studied and their art critiqued using a four-step critique process.

 IMG_0233.JPG

E x p l o r a t o r y    A r t

In this semester long class, 6th grade visual art students are introduced to basic art making skills and the art elements and principles of design. They use a variety of art media, such as markers, colored pencils, pastels, paint and clay. 

 

G r a d i n g  P o l i c y

Grades are determined by how well students meet the visual art standards set forth by the Washington State Common Core Standards. Rubrics are used to measure student performance and progress. Classwork, such as daily do now's written in interactive art notebooks and Friday drawings with self-reflections, are formative assessments and account for 20% of the overall grade . Art assignments are summative assessments and account for the remaining 80%.

 

L a t e  W o r k  P o l i c y

Students and parents are encouraged to frequently review art grades online. Missing work shows up in the grade book as MI. Students can redo or turn in any missing or late work and earn full credit. Additionally, if a standard has not been met, students may redo an assignment.

Mask.JPG

F r e e   D r a w  F r i d a y 

On Fridays in class, students draw a picture (subject matter is student's choice) then write a self-reflection. This work is then stored in a drawing portfolio and turned in at the end of each month.

  

A r t  A s s i g n m e n t s

Students create artwork using a variety of art media (pencil, paint, colored pencils, markers, pastels, wire, clay and paper mache). To nurture artistic growth, students are encouraged to master basic art concepts and effectively use the art elements and design principles.

 

IMG_0583.JPG

C l a s s  S c h e d u l e

Semester 1 and 2

Period 1 - Ceramics/Basic Art*
Period 2 - Basic Art
Period 3 - Exploratory Art
Period 4 - Basic Art/Ceramics*
Period 5 - Plan
Period 6 - Exploratory Art

* Second Semester